Monday, November 29, 2010

First off...

... the sad stuff.
So much to catch up on from our last five days of family time, Thanksgiving, an anniversary celebration and more. And I promise to get pictures and stories up here soon.
But unfortunately we have some sadness in our lives right now, too.
My good friend Sarah Lizer lost her mom on the day before Thanksgiving. Linda Lizer had battled ovarian cancer for several years and finally lost the fight, slipping away peacefully in the hospital with family around and her favorite music playing.
Brian, Ellie and I drove from St. Louis to Rockford yesterday and will attend the funeral for this amazing woman this morning. Brian and I got to spend some time with Sarah and her family last night, and I continue to be in awe of these guys. Even in the wake of this huge loss, the Lizer house was filled with laughter and warmth. I've always felt like the Lizer family was larger than life and I'm glad to see that tradition continues, even though they are hurting. Mrs. Lizer taught her kids so many important lessons and how to appreciate life, share kindness and value family. I love those guys so much and hate to see them in pain, but I'm glad they have such a close family and network of friends to lean on.
I was grateful to be in Rockford last night to also share a dinner with my mom on what would have been her 40th wedding anniversary with my dad. We still feel the loss of him every day... and I hate that I can't honestly tell the Lizer kids that they will get beyond the pain of losing a parent any time soon. Even after 10-plus years without my dad, my heart aches when I think of things I'd like to share with him. But I know he's watching us ... and now he's got some more good company up there.

No comments:

Post a Comment