Thursday, February 17, 2011

Bladder infection?

Poor Ellie is still battling something. I fear it's a bladder infection, so we went to the doctor Wednesday afternoon. That was a rough visit. To find out if it's her bladder, the doctor needed a urine sample — which meant using a catheter. By the end of the procedure Ellie was red faced, screaming and I had tears running down my face. I couldn't help it. What a nightmare to see her in so much pain and not understanding what was going on. The difficulty of the test was compounded by the fact that Ellie is dehydrated and not willing to eat or drink much.
The sample had to go to the lab, with results due back this morning. Unfortunately, when I called this morning, the office said they need to do further testing on some of the bacteria they found... so now we're in limbo again until tomorrow morning. At least the nurse gave me some advice on getting Ellie to drink more. I was not pleased to find her diaper nearly dry this morning (after almost 12 hours in bed). Between daycare and at home, we'll be offering her drinks every hour. And I'll try some jello and popsicles later, too.
The silver lining in all this is that Ellie is acting happy and like herself at times. This morning I even got some "peek-a-boo" smiles from her while getting her dressed. I keep reminding her (and myself) that we'll get through this.

No comments:

Post a Comment