Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Week 18: Bell pepper

We're excited to be just a week away from the ultrasound! Oh, and the current sentiment from Brian is that we're going to find out the baby's sex at that appointment... Getting excited!
I've been feeling good and seem to be mostly recovered from the ligament I pulled in my side last week (while lurching up from bed to turn off the alarm... oops).
I don't want to jinx anything, but I've been amazed at how well things are going in this pregnancy and how *relatively* relaxed I've been. I guess I'm just too busy with Ellie and everything else in life to spend as much time worrying about every little thing I eat, drink and do while carrying #2. Obviously I'm trying to take good care of the baby and myself, but I have a cup of coffee every few days and the occasional glass of wine, for example. I was so strict on myself in the last pregnancy, but I'm trying to be a bit more relaxed this time around. I think it's helping with the mental part of pregnancy, for sure, because time seems to be flying. I'll need someone to remind me of that around week 34 :)

Here's what the experts are saying this week:
Head to rump, your baby is about 5 1/2 inches long (about the length of a bell pepper) and he weighs almost 7 ounces. He's busy flexing his arms and legs — movements that you'll start noticing more and more in the weeks ahead. His blood vessels are visible through his thin skin, and his ears are now in their final position, although they're still standing out from his head a bit. A protective covering of myelin is beginning to form around his nerves, a process that will continue for a year after he's born. If you're having a girl, her uterus and fallopian tubes are formed and in place. If you're having a boy, his genitals are noticeable now, but he may hide them from you during an ultrasound.

No comments:

Post a Comment