Monday, March 26, 2012

Growing baby

Katie is getting bigger, slowly but surely. (The slow part is fine by me -- as long as she's healthy -- because I hate to see her tiny-ness slipping away!)
She's 7 weeks old and just now growing out of her newborn-sized clothes and diapers. Ellie barely ever fit into that stuff! When I checked her weight at the doc's office last week she was 8 lbs, 8 oz, which was a pound heavier than she was 2 weeks prior. We're thrilled that she's staying on track with the ounce-per-day rule (ish) for babies at this point. I'm sure she'll be over 10 lbs by her 2-month checkup next week... but by comparison, Ellie was 12 lbs, 8 oz at her 2-month doc's appointment. Our two girls are definitely on different growing paths, with Ellie steadily in the 90th percentile for most of her first year and Katie so far in the 10th percentile. All that matters, though, is both are happy and healthy.
Breastfeeding is going well, too. I have many days where I feel calm and in control of the whole situation, which is a far cry from the nursing process with Ellie when I felt helpless through much of it. My supply is much better this time around and Katie is getting at least 75 percent of her daily food from me via nursing and pumping. Yay!
In other baby development news, Katie is getting much stronger and can hold her head up for short bursts when on her tummy or being held up near our shoulders. She continues to be a sleeping champ (knock on wood! fingers crossed!) and only wakes up once in the middle of the night before getting up around 6 a.m. the next morning. It still makes for a groggy mom and dad, but compared to what most babies are still doing at this point Brian and I consider ourselves some of the luckiest parents on the planet.
The Ellie-Katie dynamic is pretty good. Ellie genuinely seems to care for her sister and gets excited when she sees her in the morning. We're still working hard to explain and enforce "gentle touches," since Ellie continues to lean on Katie with her full toddler weight and tries to poke her in the eyes and face on a daily basis. I wonder how any younger siblings survive sometimes!

No comments:

Post a Comment