Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Back to work

That's where I'm going. Starting July 16 I'll be heading back to the Journal & Courier full-time as the local editor. I'll manage a staff of about eight reporters and oversee most of the local content going into the daily newspaper. It's a big job and not one I had imagined doing at the age of 30. It's a big step up in my career. And I'm looking forward to it! But that doesn't mean I had an easy time deciding to take the job.
The two most obvious reasons that I almost said no to the offer are: Ellie and Katie. I love, love, love spending my days with the girls. We've had a lot of fun the past four, almost five, months, and I hope the "adventures" we've gone on almost every day have meant as much to Ellie and Katie as they have to me. It's going to be hard to go a whole workday without hearing any of Ellie's random sayings or seeing a Katie smile. But when Brian and I mulled over the pros and cons of this job opportunity we found a lot of reasons that I should say yes. Probably the most important ones are: we feel good about the experiences the girls can gain from being at a great day care center (which we've found) and I think I can do a great job and advance my career in this position. If I'd said "no" to the offer now there was no way of telling when and if the opportunity would present itself again.
It was a hard decision. It's going to mean a lot of big changes for all of us. But I'm hoping that the majority of them are positive. And over the next few weeks I'll be stockpiling quality time with Ellie and Katie!

1 comment:

  1. This is so exciting! I'm so happy for you, this really is an awesome opportunity.

    ReplyDelete