Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Eating issues... part 2

I forgot to include some of the stuff I've learned along the way while trying to get this whole breastfeeding thing down. I worked with a lactation nurse through the hospital for the first couple weeks after Ellie was born. And in addition to giving me tips to improve her latch and to make the feedings more comfortable, the nurse helped me grow my milk supply. The first thing I tried was simply eating oatmeal for breakfast. It's supposed to help improve milk supply, but I'm not sure if it's worked for me.
But this next suggestion definitely helped. I started taking two herbal supplements (three times each day) called Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle. Hadn't heard of either one of them before this month, but they seem to really help! Before I started taking them, I was able to pump less than an ounce of milk at each feeding. (I was pumping periodically at that point to figure out how much Ellie was getting from me.) After taking the herbal stuff for about three days, I was able to get around 2 ounces! It's still not a ton of milk, since Ellie is supposed to be getting up to three ounces to eat every three hours or so. I'm only making about 2 ounces every four hours... or roughly 12 ounces in a day... so the supplementing is necessary. But having a little more to give Ellie feels great and makes all the hard work more worthwhile.
I hope this helps anyone else who may have feeding trouble down the line. And I would definitely recommend the help from lactation nurses for anyone who has feeding issues. They were such an awesome resource!

1 comment: