Thursday, January 7, 2010

Moms night

I got some dedicated "me" time last night when I went out with my friend Lia to get pedicures. We both had gift certificates — and awesome husbands who were willing to babysit while we went in for some pampering and mom-talk! Ellie got to play with Lia and Mike's son Colin. I love these pictures Mike took. You can see in the first one that Colin is checking out his new lady friend... and then he decides to make a sly attempt at hand-holding. Ellie's already got the boys lining up :) Although Colin is almost three months younger than Ellie, so I wonder if that makes her a cougar?
I had so much fun getting out with Lia, too. We joked as we were picking out nail polish at the salon: "Hmm, what color do we want to hide under our socks for the next couple months...?" But our outing wasn't as much about giving our toenails the royal treatment as it was about having uninterrupted time to talk. There are many things that are hard for people who aren't new moms to understand. And it's great for us to realize we're dealing with similar challenges and triumphs with the kiddos.
There's no "off" switch for this motherhood gig. And while I'm happy to have Ellie consume 99.9 percent of my life, it was nice to carve our those two hours for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment