Thursday, April 15, 2010

Jammies in the heat?

I went into Ellie's room this morning and thought I was entering a tropical rain forest. Between the 80-degree days we've had this week and the humidifier we run in her room at night, it was very warm and steamy!
I've been struggling with what to dress her in for sleep this week. Her long-sleeve, footy pajamas seem to warm in this weather. But she usually kicks off any blanket we put on her overnight. When I put her in short sleeves and socks the other night, all of her bare skin was cold when I got her up in the morning :( Any suggestions?
Ellie is still sleeping at night like an angel, so I guess it's not bothering her too much... but I'd like to have a better system than "guessing" worked out by the extended summer months. Also, should we stop using the humidifier in the warm weather/summer when there's more moisture in the air already?

3 comments:

  1. Disclaimer: I have no clue what I'm talking about. Having spent 25 years living in the midwest (and two years teaching thermodynamics), I've got to believe that the humidifier is overkill during the warmer months. As for jammies, I talked to my cousin (mother of 5) who thinks she put her kids in just a short-sleeved shirt and pants in the summer. Seems a little chilly to me, but we'll give it a shot. I think the fleecy thing might be too much. I've found some 12 mo jammies that are pretty light weight, so I might put Lucy in that with a layer underneath. I guess it all depends how cool you keep the house. If you don't have/use AC, I'm sure one layer is plenty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had the same issue - we're definitely done with the footed fleece pj's. We've been putting him in cotton footed pj's, and he also has several of these - I LOVE them b/c they are super light weight, and don't have feet so he doesn't overheat: http://tinyurl.com/y7pk3z5

    Also, those Halo sleepsacks come in cotton, and that over a onesie would be nice and light, but warm w/out having to use a blanket: http://www.target.com/Halo-Cotton-SleepSack-Daisy-Print/dp/B00359F0LC

    Also, right now Colin's sick so we're still using the warm-mist humidifier, but I think a cool mist one would be better for the summer (if we decide to keep it on - might be overkill at that point).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would suggest a light weight long sleeves and pants combo. I'm sure even without a blanket, that would be enough in the summer (especially if her room feels hot). I don't have anything for the humidifier...Mom only put them in our rooms when we were sick, so I'm not real familiar with them.

    ReplyDelete