Thursday, September 23, 2010

What a difference...

... a year makes.
I'm celebrating my second birthday as a mom today. Turning 29 isn't really a big deal for me -- even though Brian made sure to point out this morning that it puts me that much closer to 30. Thanks, hon. It's OK, though, because he got up early to make me waffles for breakfast (and I mean EARLY, since he had to do it before my 6 a.m. shift started!) Yay for a great husband!
Now I'm back at home, about to hit my last couple hours of work while Ellie naps. I had to go back and check the blog from last September around my birthday, because it really feels like it's been more than a year. On my birthday last year I was still home on maternity leave and trying to figure out a very colicky 7-week-old baby. My excitement then was about how Ellie waited until after dinner to start crying, and how we had to take her out for a bumpy stroller ride in the park to soothe her.
Today I picked her up from daycare, she fell asleep on the way home and then cuddled me on the trip into the house. I laid her down upstairs and she was settled in for her nap. Lord help me for saying this, but I expect tonight will run about the same. She eats dinner around 5 or 5:30 and starts bath an hour later. By 7 she's usually down for the night and we don't hear from Ellie until almost 7 a.m. the next day.
I know now that we've got a freakishly wonderful sleeper now, but I can remember how uncertain everything was a year ago. I didn't know how each day was going to go with her, let alone the nights... and I had no idea how I'd handle the return to work just a few weeks after my birthday. Somehow it all worked out. I can truly say I'm another year older AND wiser this birthday.
I don't care if it makes me old. Tonight I'm just looking forward to kissing my baby girl good night, enjoying a birthday dinner of beef stroganoff (ala my dad's tradition for me), finishing it off with a big piece of pistaccio torte and relaxing on the couch with Brian. Oh, and did I mention the bottle of Zinfandel set aside for the evening? Sounds to me like a recipe for a fabulous birthday.
And while I'm so grateful for the wonderful birthday wishes flooding in today (thanks, Facebook friends!), I want to extend my thanks for all of you for the support and love during this past year. I have the most amazing family and friends. I can't wait to see what this next year brings... even if it means crossing that final bridge to the big 3-0!

1 comment:

  1. Awww, making me tear up reading your post! A very happy birthday to you, enjoy the rest of your day!

    ReplyDelete