Thursday, November 17, 2011

Week 28: Chinese cabbage

Welcome to the third trimester! I was psyched to hit that milestone this week, even though I know it means a lot more discomfort is headed my way. In these last three months we'll watch my basketball belly grow to the size of a watermelon — which I didn't totally believe in the first pregnancy until it actually happened. As you can see from the new family picture I put up here, I've already grown quite a bit.
The average weight gain this last trimester is 11 pounds. I'm already up about 20 from my starting weight, so I'm definitely going to try not to go beyond that gain... but the baby may have other ideas. My mom (at 5-foot-4 and about 120 pounds) said she always put on more weight than recommended during her five pregnancies, and instead of worrying about it she just got really good at giving the doctor a dirty look if he gave her a hard time about it. We grow babies big in my family, with my siblings and I each weighing between 9.5 and 10 pounds at birth.
All that being said, even though I'm scaling back on running at this point in the pregnancy I'm hoping to stay active with walking and yoga and chasing Ellie around.

Here's what the experts have to say this week:
By this week, your baby weighs two and a quarter pounds (like a Chinese cabbage) and measures 14.8 inches from the top of her head to her heels. She can blink her eyes, which now sport lashes. With her eyesight developing, she may be able to see the light that filters in through your womb. She's also developing billions of neurons in her brain and adding more body fat in preparation for life in the outside world.

No comments:

Post a Comment