Thursday, June 17, 2010

Best laid plans...

It has been a rough week. That may have been apparent from the black hole on the blog...
Brian is out of town at a work conference in St. Louis. That should have been fine. Ellie and I can survive on our own for a week, right? Especially since my mom was here Monday and Tuesday to help out around the house.
Well... a few curve balls came our way. On Monday afternoon I started feeling sick to my stomach. By that evening I was down for the count with some sort of bug or food poisoning. I actually missed work Tuesday because I was still in rough shape, but luckily I started to feel human again by that evening.
On Wednesday, my mom left for home and I thought all was back on track with our solo week. Then Ellie came home with a fever... She still seems to be battling a low-grade fever without showing any other symptoms of illness, so I think it's teething-related. But, I didn't know that for sure Wednesday evening.
I was scheduled to be a speaker in the Hoosier State Press Association "Road Show for Reporters" this morning. I didn't want to miss the opportunity but knew Ellie wouldn't be allowed at daycare with a fever. I spent a good amount of time checking in with various friends/coworkers in Lafayette (who didn't have kids that Ellie might infect if she was ill...)
I never found anyone on such short notice, but luckily Ellie woke up this morning with almost no fever. So she went to school and I want down to Indianapolis (did I mention that's where my conference was??) this morning.
All seemed to finally fall into place, as my presentation went well and the teachers at school said Ellie was doing fine when I checked in at lunch. I was breathing a sigh of relief just when my co-worker and I were driving home from the conference -- and one of the tires on his car blew out!
So, just about an hour before Ellie absolutely needed to be picked up from daycare I was stranded on the side of Interstate 65... 25 miles south of Lafayette.
Aaaahhhhhhhh!
I am so grateful to have friends that immediately jumped into action to help me and Ellie out. One of my co-workers jumped in her car and headed down to pick me up, while our neighbors took on the task of picking Ellie up from day care. About 90 minutes later I was able to finally pick up Ellie from the neighbors and head home with an exhausted, hungry little girl (who probably wondered if her mom was ever coming back!) We are so lucky to have people in our lives that are willing to drop what they're doing to help us. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I just home Friday is a boring, normal day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment