Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Some winning food

It was a red-letter food day in the Wallheimer household yesterday. Even though this is not a foodie blog, I wanted to share these recipes and a goal that Brian and I have been trying to accomplish this year.
We've been aiming to cook at least one new recipe every week this year. And while I haven't kept a running tally, I think we've done it most weeks so far. It's not hard to find new recipes in our house since we subscribe to four different cooking magazines these days! (Darn sale prices being too good to pass up...) But it's so easy to fall into a cooking rut and just make what we know, etc.
SO, here's a link to what we had for dinner last night. Quick White Bean, Asparugus and Mushroom Cassoulet. It sounds way fancier/harder to make than it really is. I suspect that's because of the word cassoulet thrown in. Also, we substituted button mushrooms to save some money and I thought it was awesome! Always looking for yummy and new vegetarian recipes, especially ones that help us get more beans into our menu. And with asparugus on sale recently it's been a staple in the diet.
I thought for sure Ellie would love this one since she's a bean-machine... but she scorned it. We had to get some standby chickpeas out for her instead. Maybe next time she'll come 'round.
Ellie did approve of the muffins I made earlier in the day, however. I discovered this Chocolate Chip Banana Muffin recipe a couple years ago and have made these things a dozen different ways since then... They are impossible to mess up! The latest rendition subbed in half whole-wheat flour, used vanilla yogurt and cut up pieces of leftover Reeses Peanut Butter eggs from Easter. The muffins are amazing, if I do say so myself.
(Past varieties of the muffins have included mini chocolate chips, pecans, walnuts, almonds, Greek yogurt and applesauce — not all at once. The only semi-fail I had was when I tried to throw some leftover cooked barley into a batch. They were actually good that way fresh from the oven, but when the barley cooled it got chewy and kinda weird in the muffins. All of them got eaten, though!)
Maybe I'll put up some more of the recipes Brian and I have tried, if there's interest. Yes, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment