Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I can do this

There have been so many moments this year when I've wondered how I would do as a mom. So it's been exciting this week to have some moments when I feel like I'm hitting my groove as a parent.
Today is a really great day because Ellie slept for almost five hours straight last night! Brian got her down around 10 p.m. and she didn't wake up to eat again until almost 3 a.m. I was so shocked that I woke up at 2 a.m. and had to go check the nursery to make sure she was OK :)
Brian and I are hoping for a repeat... but trying not to get our hopes up too much!
Beyond the nighttime routine, Ellie and I have had some pretty great days together. We're developing a bit of a routine. She's been waking up hungry around 8 a.m. and I get her fed, changed and clothed by around 9:30 a.m. We've discovered the joy of the Baby Bjorn for walks around the park in the morning. Ellie still isn't a huge fan of the stroller, but once I strap her in the bjorn carrier she's good to go for as long as I'm up for walking. Carrying her on my belly makes me feel a little like I'm pregnant again... but now I'm able to take her off at the end of the walk. The weather has been too gorgeous not to get outside each day.
Brian usually comes home for lunch, which is great for visiting and having an extra set of hands for a half hour or so. In the afternoon, Ellie has been taking a nap for a couple hours. We either run errands or I use the time to get something done around the house. Today my activity was sorting through my closet to clear out maternity clothes and figure out what still fits from my old clothes... not much, unfortunately!
So that's a glimpse at the lives of Dorothy and Ellie these days. I'm sure something will pop up to derail me soon enough, but for now I'm feeling pretty good about mommyhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment