Friday, December 4, 2009

A worry wart

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to write this, so bear with me.
In the first couple months after Ellie was born I struggled with some baby blues. Between the hormones raging through me, the sleep I wasn't getting and the total change in almost every aspect of my life... I struggled to make it through most days without crying.
I'm doing much better now. And I give credit to Brian for helping me keep my sanity through that time. Talking to him about what I was feeling (worries about not being a good mother or feeling inadequate because of my low milk supply) helped me deal with those emotions. And he was always there to tell me I wasn't crazy and to give me a hug, or a quick break from baby duty.
Nowadays things feel so great. Ellie is sleeping more at night, playing more during the day and melting my heart every time she smiles or laughs.
But I still find myself worrying A LOT about her. It doesn't help that I work for a newspaper, where we report all the good and bad news of the day. This week has been especially horrifying for a new mom like me. We had stories about a babysitter who molested children in her care, one only 2-months-old, and another about a mom who passed out on top of her 3-year-old outside in the cold. The toddler is on life support (and it's unlikely he'll survive), and who knows how those children hurt by the babysitter are recovering.
I know reporters are supposed to have thick skin, and I've covered my fair share of fires, shootings and other bad events over the years. But I'm not always able to stay detached from the stories. I remember a fire I had to cover late one night when we were living in Massachusetts. It was freezing out and there were parents and kids that had run out from the multi-family home with nothing on their feet. I called Brian and made him bring some blankets and old shoes and socks of ours down to the scene. He distributed them while I worked on getting information for the story.
In some ways I am grateful that these stories remind me of the needs of so many other families in the world. But many of the stories, especially where kids get hurt, haunt me. I can't believe the bad things that happen in this world to innocent people. And now that I have Ellie I feel this crazy need (literally a feeling that ties my stomach in knots) to protect her... from everything.
I know that she is already better off than a lot of kids. She has two parents who love her and would do anything for her. She's healthy. She's fed, clothed and protected. I just see these insane things happening — in some cases to babies — and can't help but worry.
It's normal for parents, especially first-time ones, to worry. And I don't expect to stop any time soon. But at the same time, I don't want to be a mom that smothers her kids or is too scared of what could happen to ever let her experience things in life. I want Ellie and any other children I have to try new things and really live — even in that means sometimes failing or getting hurt.
I just want what's best for her always. Can anyone help me arrange that? Preferably before I drive myself crazy with all this worrying!

No comments:

Post a Comment