Tuesday, December 1, 2009

What a weekend

We finally got back in town last night after a weekend that was amazing, fun, whirlwind and exhausting! I have so much to write about and I won't be able to hit it all in one post, but here are some of the main events from our long weekend.

• First Thanksgiving
Ellie had a great first Thanksgiving, even though she cannot yet enjoy all of the Schneider family favorites. I'm looking forward to next year's Thanksgiving when she can try the *best ever* mashed potatoes, which are a staple in any holiday meal with my family :)
The holiday was also a chance for Ellie to meet some family members for the first time — including my younger brother Ben and his fiance Candice. I hated that they met her for the first time when she was almost four months old! But they live all the way up in Minneapolis and we just don't get to see each other often enough. Ellie had a lot of fun with her Uncle Ben, including some quality time watching the Packers-Lions game together on Thanksgiving Day.






• Muzzy... and other mishaps
We traveled with both dogs again and did pretty well. Radar did get nervous a few times on the return trip and stepped into Ellie car seat — again. And Muzzy jumped up into it a few times when we went through the drive-thru because she wanted to see what was going on. But Ellie was unfazed by the visits from her puppies. She slept through most of it!
Funnier than the car ride, were Muzzy's antics once we arrived at my mom's house. The morning after Thanksgiving she got into Ben and Candice's room and trotted downstairs with a pair of Candice's underwear. She left them in the dining room for all to see... and Candice was slightly mortified. Brian told Candice that it was Muzzy's way of welcoming her to the family, but I don't think she's forgiven Muzzy yet. It didn't help that later in the weekend Muzzy got back into Candice's stuff — eating two packs of gum and several tablets of Pepto Bismal. Bad Muzzy!
In the "other mishaps" category, I had to marvel that in a house with two 4-year-olds and one 6-year-old, Ben (age 26) was the one to get hurt during the weekend. He dropped a knife and it stabbed his foot Friday morning. No stitches were necessary, but there was a lot of blood. Oops.

• Short nights
Ellie bunked in with us during the weekend at my moms. She slept in the cradle that my dad made for me and my siblings when we were babies :)
We had some short nights of sleep through most of the weekend, though. Ellie was still on her Eastern time schedule, which meant she woke up the first few days at 4:30 a.m. (feeling like it was 5:30 a.m. EST). Brian and I took turns getting up with her, but it was tougher than nights with her at home. We have more freedom to let her cry-it-out at home because we're the only ones disturbed. But I didn't want her screaming at 1 a.m. at my mom's because it woke the whole house up. So we tried some different things, running Ellie downstairs in the overnight hours or simply walking around with her in our room to try to encourage sleep. It was also tough at night because Ellie was held so much during the daytime hours by eager family members and friends. We love to see her getting loved-on, but it's taking some reminding for her to get back to sleeping out of someone's arms.

• A night out
As I posted last time, Brian and I went to my high school reunion Saturday night and left Ellie with grandma overnight. I was nervous about it, but of course it turned out fine. I called home Saturday night and early Sunday morning, and each time my mom was still a happy grandma. Ellie woke my mom up at 2 a.m. and again at 6 a.m., but overall she did pretty well while we were away. And it was fun to go out with Brian and have a few drinks with friends. But I hugged that baby very tight when I got back to see her Sunday morning!
Grandma likes Ellie in hats :)
I'm sure there's more I'll remember to write about later. But those are definitely the highlights of our mega-Thanksgiving-reunion weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment