Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Hearing the heartbeat

Wow. We rushed to the doctor's appointment at lunchtime today and I got what I'd desperately been waiting for. We got to hear our little baby's heartbeat for the first time.
It took a minute or so for the doctor to find it and I was nervous as we waited. At one point I heard something and the doctor said it was the baby moving. A few seconds later we heard a steady "whump, whump, whump." Brian reached up and squeezed my toe. I held my breath. It was amazing.
The doctor said the heartbeat was strong. We got to hear it for about 10 seconds before the baby moved and it went away. The doctor's response was that the baby was being "a turd."
On the way out of the office, I gave Brian a big hug. Since then I haven't been able to stop smiling.
And speaking of smiling, Brian and I have nicknamed the baby "our peach." We found a Web site that tracks the baby's growth based on what size fruit it is each week. For week 13, I've got a little peach in there. I guess the name may change next week as it changes to another fruit size, but the baby will always be my little peach.
I am so happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment