Monday, February 23, 2009

Running-ish

I'm signed up to run a half marathon in about seven weeks. Not because I'm a glutton for punishment, but because I'd already signed up for it before finding out I was pregnant. I usually do a couple each year and was psyched to participate in the inaugural Illinois Marathon (at U of I Champaign-Urbana).
I checked with the doctor at my first appointment and she said it was fine for me to do as long as I didn't run the whole thing. So I've been training for it and, so far, have been able to stick with most of my program. I'm doing a good mix of running and walking. And even my "running" pace is pretty slow!
The biggest challenges so far have been tiredness and hip/leg pain. In early January it was tough to even go a couple miles because I was so tired, even on the days I'd get 12 hours of sleep! But I'd also find that I felt better after working out. It definitely helped work out some of my kinks and got my system going :)
Now that I have more energy, the working out part is easier but I'm finding a whole new set of pains. The most frustrating is the pain in my right groin. It's apparently just caused by the ligaments stretching as baby grows. So I'm not worried, just uncomfortable. And the need to empty my bladder every 20 minutes or so isn't helping, either!
I've still got plenty of training left to do. I've only worked up to a five-mile long-run... which took almost an hour. A month from now I'll be run/walking nine or 10 miles, which may take me a whole morning.
But I'm going to keep training unless something other than discomfort gets in my way. I think it will be a great accomplishment to run the race with the baby on board. Brian is running the half, too, (along with my younger brother and older sister) so it will be quite the family affair!

No comments:

Post a Comment