Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Baking babes

I've enlisted Ellie in some of my recent baking/treat-making endeavors. It's something fun we can do together now that the weather's not so nice for daily trips to the park. Plus, I love the idea of fueling her baking spirit from a young age. I love the memories I have from growing up of baking with my mom and sister.
Of course, when Ellie helps in the kitchen these days it's actually more of a hindrance. There's definitely more mess to clean up at the end of the process... but that's what rags and vacuums are for, right?
Here's Ellie helping me mix up a recent batch of chocolate chip banana muffins. They're a household favorite!
I discovered another kid-friendly treat option the other day. I melted some chocolate chips (4 oz.) and peanut butter (1/4 c.) and let Ellie help me dip mini pretzel sticks in it, put them on parchment paper and into the freezer. After dipping and placing dutifully for a few minutes, Ellie discovered that she could "accidentally" dip her fingers in the chocolate and then have to lick it off. Smart girl! So there was a lot of the chocolate mixture dripped onto the table and Ellie by the end of the process, but it was worth the clean-up to have that fun — and get to eat the pretzels later!

No comments:

Post a Comment