Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The sound of her own voice

Ellie is her own best entertainment these days. She's exploring the sounds of her voice and loving it. (We're big fans, too!) And I can't resist making the observation that Ellie, by all accounts, should become a big talker at some point. Just look at her parents.
Last night Ellie woke me up around 4 a.m. I fed her until she fell asleep in my arms about 45 minutes later. I put her back in her crib, but as soon as she hit the mattress her eyes shot open. She was awake and unhappy that mom wasn't holding her anymore. After 5 minutes of listening to her cry, I picked her up again and nursed her some more. But she fell back asleep. So I put her down again and it seemed OK... for a few minutes.
I crawled back into bed hoping she would find her thumb and fall back to sleep on her own. She didn't fall back asleep, but her cries turned into other sounds. We could hear her making all sorts of noise, ahhhhhs and awwmmmsss and ohhhhhs. It was pretty hilarious, even at 5 a.m. Ellie doesn't have much volume control, a trait I'm guessing she inherited from her dad ;)
We heard her entertaining herself for a good 20 minutes.
Then she started crying again. But it was a good run. And we're happy to hear Ellie making her "thoughts" known.

No comments:

Post a Comment