Friday, August 20, 2010

Updated: Fever

Monday update: I took Ellie to the doctor today because her fever has continued to spike off-and-on since late last week. After a frustrating 90-minute wait to see the doctor (!), she finally came in to examine Ellie and didn't find much. I suppose that's good news, because she thinks the virus or whatever is causing her fever will clear out on its own. Ellie's fever was only around 100 last night, and that was without any Tylenol since the early AM. So hopefully the bug she got is on its way out! She really hasn't acted sick most of the time the past few days, but I hate to feel that hot forehead and know something's not quite right.


(from Friday)
Ellie spiked a fever yesterday afternoon. It was over 102, but came down into the 99-degree range after some Tylenol. She hasn't been acting very sick, so I wasn't too concerned.
But at 3 a.m. today she woke us up screaming. I got one temperature reading of 103.1 and another of 102.5! More Tylenol and she went back to sleep after a bit. I wanted to just hold and rock her the rest of the night... but I didn't think my body heat was helping her cool down at all! Poor baby.
I just hate it when she's sick. And I hate not knowing how concerned we should be. She really hasn't been acting too sick, so when does the fever require a trip into the doctor?
On top of these questions, I almost feel guilty about my worry over Ellie's seemly minor illness. We have one friend whose daughter is in the St. Louis infant ICU because of heart failure. And our former neighbors are fielding information from Ethiopia that their under-two-month-old son, who they will be adopting later this year, is sick with a respiratory infection. Prayers all around for these illnesses.
It's good for me to keep some perspective when I find myself worrying about Ellie — oh wait, that's all the time! Still, I know our little girl is doing great. And whatever is currently ailing her, we'll get to the bottom of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment