Monday, August 30, 2010

Toot, toot

I decided to take a moment to toot my own horn.
I have been working really hard at losing weight and generally getting back in shape the past year. In addition to some intense play sessions with Ellie, my workouts includes running 3-5 times a week, doing 50 push-ups most nights and fitting in some sit-ups and whatnot when the mood strikes.
On the eating front, I'll admit I've spent some hours hungry in recent months. I'm trying to get my body used to eating less, and tricking it into being satisfied by different foods. For example, fruit instead of candy or other sweets... yogurt instead of ice cream... and smaller doses of carbs instead of big, fat bagels!
I remember how nervous I was during my early months of pregnancy. I've always struggled with my weight and watched it fluctuate up and down, seemingly just by looking at a dessert! (OK, I usually ate the dessert, too...)
What did NOT help calm my pregnancy-hormonal nerves was hearing from countless women: "Oh, your body will never be the same after you have a baby." No one really explained what that meant... but I, of course, assumed the worst. I imagined never returning to pants without an elastic waistband! Not being able to run! Never sleeping enough to feel like a human being again!
Granted, I had a few months of that stuff right after Ellie was born. But I took control of my life and my body as best I could as the stress and chaos of being a new parent lessened over time.

The truth is, my body is not the same as it was before having Ellie. It's better! Sorry to sound so proud of myself... but I decided that I deserve a few pats on the back for all the work I put in.
I was already doing OK on regaining my pants size and fitness level at the start of the year. But since starting the weight loss challenge with Brian, I've lost 11 pounds! (And won three out of four weight lost challenge months... Sorry, Brian. I know you're gunning for me now!)
It amazes me when I step on the scale these days. I honestly don't remember the last time I was in this weight range, but I know it's been at least 15 years.... if not longer.
Having Ellie has taught me so much. For one, I know my body can do amazing things. Grow another human being, for example... and then deliver it! And keeping up with Ellie, along with wanting to teach her things and set a good example, is teaching me a lot about having confidence and fitting a lot into a short amount of time.

Sorry for that self-indulgent, somewhat random stream of thoughts... but I hope all the other mothers and future-mothers out there trust that they have more strength than they probably give themselves credit for!

3 comments:

  1. Dorothy: Congrats! A friend and I have also experienced a similar situation to yours. Keep up your good work... Ellie will notice it all very soon and start copying everything you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing it.
    Being fit and healthy is not the same as being slim. The Withings scale lets you see the difference and allows you to monitor any increase of muscle which appears as your lean mass reading.

    Fitness Scales

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dorothy, I don't think of this as bragging at all! You're right, it is scary to go in to pregnancy not knowing what your body's going to be like after. I think it's important to assure women that everything is going to be ok. Like you, I've had a similar rise in body confidence even though it isn't quite the same as it was... you just can't look at it the same way after it has produced something so beautiful, am I right? Congrats on all your hard work paying off and being an awesome role model!

    ReplyDelete