Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Area formerly known as my waist

I'm a little gun-shy about writing about my weight and belly size these days. It seems like every time I do make note of my growing "bump," it just gets bigger!
OK, maybe that's at least partially due to the progressing pregnancy. But it is amazing to me how much this belly is growing.
I don't think I look too different from head-on. But put me in the right shirt, turn me sideways and WHOA! I've heard women talk about carrying the baby high or low, and how that can be a predictor of the sex, etc. I think I'm carrying the baby all over! The curve basically starts at my rib cage and runs all the way down to the area formerly known as my waist. Not sure what that means about the sex, but I'm expecting it means I have a big baby in there.
My siblings and I all weighed-in at over 9 pounds at birth. Brian was in the 7-8 pound range. Plus, I have a hard time picturing this Wallheimer baby inheriting a small bone structure from its parents!
The doctor says I'm still in the normal range for size and weight gain. I've put on more than 20 pounds already... but as long as the doctor says I'm fine, I'm trying to keep from thinking about what the scale says.
I know I drive Brian nuts sometimes worrying about my size and weight, but I've carried extra pounds almost my entire life. I don't want to come out of this pregnancy with weight gain that's going to take years to undo.
And it's hard not to worry about that when the doctor and everyone else keeps reminding me that my body is "never going to be the same again" after having a baby. Well, what does that mean? I wish there was some way to get a mock-up of what my body will look like on the other side of this so I could know and stop imagining the worst.
In the meantime, I guess I'll just keep lubing up my itchy, growing belly with lotion and try to avoid looking at my backside in the mirror!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you posted this today. I subjected Mike to a sobbing breakdown this morning over my midsection. Good to know I am not alone. It will all be worth it in the end. And you look great!

    ReplyDelete