Monday, May 4, 2009

Brian's first post

Not to throw anyone off, but this is Brian, not Dorothy. She's asked me to sometimes drop in a line or two on the blog, so this is my first post.

I guess I should start by saying I'm pretty excited about the baby coming in just a few months. It don't feel real yet, though I'm sure it will after the first night at home. Goodbye, sleep.

One of the things I'm really excited about is all the things I get to teach my son or daughter. I'm worried about kids these days (wow, that sounded old) and their lack of energy. My kids aren't sitting in front of computers, video games or televisions all day. I want them outside playing, enjoying nature, their friends and all the dumb games kids make up.

So, on that note, I've started creating a list of all the things I think kids in 10, 15 or 20 years won't know how to do anymore. And I want my kids to know how to do all of them. Some early entries for you to peruse:

- Build a fire without pouring gas or lighter fluid on the wood.
- Do their own minor car repairs (change oil, check fluids, tires, etc.)
- Clean walnuts, dry them and crack them to get the nuts (it's possible I believe our baby is a squirrel) like I did with my grandpa
- Plant and take care of a garden

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment