Thursday, May 21, 2009

My hero

With as often as I've blamed Brian over the past six months for "getting me into this," I'd be remiss if I didn't take the time to praise his heroics at our house last night.
We were fast-forwarding through the Tivo-ed American Idol finale around 10 p.m. with several lights on and both dogs sleeping peacefully. Suddenly a bat flies into the room and starts doing laps around the ceiling.
I tried to actually sink inside my chair as I watched in horror. Even writing about it now I can feel my heart rate climbing. I am NOT a fan of bats after being terrorized by them on many nights at my mom's house in Rockford.
Brian could tell I was losing it and told me to get outside while he took care of it. I ran to the front door and fumbled with the locks, sure that the bat was bearing down on me from behind. I finally flung open the screen door and threw my body onto the front porch — not sure if this was intentional or if I tripped, but I have the scraped up foot to prove it.
Once I was safely on the other side of the screen, I tried to yell encouragement to Brian. I told him to get a blanket to throw over the bat. He got one and chased the bat upstairs into our bedroom (ugh!!) where he was able to capture it within a couple minutes. He came downstairs holding the blanket bundle and walked down the street to release the bat.
I suggested burning the blanket, but Brian seems to think washing it will do the trick.
My screams and the bang of our front door flying open attracted the neighbors' attention. They were glad to hear we were dealing with a bat and not being savagely attacked.
I know I should probably be embarrassed by my total meltdown in the face of this small, flying rodent... but I've never claimed to have any bravery when it comes to bats.
Brian was truly my hero in getting the bat out quickly, and then going along with my request that we scour every window and other potential opening in the house before we went to bed. I still had a very freaked out night of sleep — not much sleep was had, actually. But I know it would have been much worse if Brian hadn't been there talking me off the ledge.
The baby and I owe him big time... I may even try to curse him less when delivery time comes :)

1 comment:

  1. As I read this, I couldn't help laughing as I remember your other bat story. What is it with you and bats.
    Hallermann

    ps. have you guys come up with any names?

    ReplyDelete