Monday, May 11, 2009

Braxton Hicks and breathless

As I near the end of my second trimester, I've been experiencing a couple freaky (though normal) pregnancy symptoms.

I started noticing last week that every so often I can feel the entire lower half of my belly tighten up. It's as if the baby is grabbing at things from the inside and pulling it all together. I realized it may be Braxton Hicks contractions and asked the doctor about it. She said it's normal at this point to feel the uterus tighten up and release every so often. I guess it's considered "practice contractions" and as long as they don't come too close together, I'm fine. It's kind of cool now that I know what it is and why it's OK.

The less-fun side effect I've had recently is getting out of breath really quickly. This often happens around this time because the baby is crowding the rib cage and preventing my lungs from fully expanding. I notice it the most when I climb stairs — so I'm extra glad that Brian got the upstairs toilet installed temporarily and I'm saved from 2-3 extra trips downstairs during the night. The doctor still wants me to be getting 30 minutes of exercise a day, so I can't use the breathing thing as my excuse. But I'm making sure to move even slower!

No comments:

Post a Comment