Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Spirit of the season?

I've found myself getting a little Grinchy this week, as stress of the holiday season builds. So I'm trying to force myself to step back, take a deep breath and think about all the things I am grateful for — even if they can cause some headache or heartache at times.
My oldest brother and his family just decided that they won't be able to make the trip from Nebraska to celebrate Christmas with the rest of the family. Although I'm disappointed to miss seeing him, his wife and their two marvelous children... I'm also proud that he's in such an important position working for the state that he has to be on hand there in case anything goes wrong. Truthfully I was very down about it last night, since it's so important to me to see our whole family get to spend time together (since it happens very rarely these days...) But I realized he's probably hurting about missing the family Christmas, too. It's more important to reach out and send some love their way instead of feeling bad about the whole thing. So I'm trying to focus on knowing that we will get to see each other at some point... hopefully sooner rather than later!

The holidays can certainly be a touchy time of year, especially in balancing my roles as mom, wife, daughter, sister, aunt, niece, granddaughter, etc. But I'm going to try to put my best face (faces?) forward this year and enjoy the season, rather than let stress weigh me down. Hopefully this plan doesn't collapse somewhere around Dec. 25 (or before!)... But life is too short to not enjoy my family and friends while I can. And I want Ellie to grow up enjoying Christmas as much as I have my whole life. I don't care if it's cliche´ and all, I really feel like this time of year is magical.
-Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment