Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Halfway

I'm about to wrap up week 20 of the pregnancy. This of course means that I'm more than halfway there! It's a very exciting milestone, especially because of my runner mentality.
Running long-distance races has forced me to become adept at mind games. When I run a half marathon, for example, I don't approach it as 13.1 miles on the road. I break the distance up and think, "it's only a little more than four 5Ks" ... or, "it's only three miles more than the training run I did last weekend." And I do the same thing as I'm on the course.
The most exciting part is getting to the halfway point in the race and knowing that the distance I have left to go from then on will be less that the distance I've covered. "It's all down hill from here"... or so I tell myself.
I'm sure I've still got some challenges ahead of me in the pregnancy. I'm still in the honeymoon-ish second trimester, where I'm glad to have that first one behind me but know the third one looms. I can only guess what kind of complaints I may be posting up here when I'm another 10 lbs heavier and it's 90 degrees out...
But right now I'm excited about hitting this halfway mark. And judging by the laps I can feel something running in my belly today, I'd say the cantaloupe is pretty happy, too.

Oh, and here's a recent pic of me (and baby)...






1 comment: