Friday, March 6, 2009

"The question"

I got asked for the first time today if I am pregnant.
The question, in so many words, came from the West Lafayette mayor when I was chatting with him at an event. He asked me how I was, kind of pointed to my stomach and raised his eyebrows.
For a second, I wanted to act confused, ask him what he meant and then act offended. I get mad whenever I hear about people mistakenly asking women "when are you due?" or something along those lines... only to find out she's not expecting.
But instead I decided to be nice and simply patted my belly and told the mayor that "we" are doing great.
Most people around town here already know that I'm pregnant, so maybe that's why I haven't been asked about it more. But I also think I'm looking pregnant-er the past week, maybe thanks to my new, flowy maternity shirts. Who knows.
But I guess I'll continue to be nice to people if I do get asked on the street. A little advice to others out there, especially men: NEVER ask a woman about her pregnancy unless you have a real good reason to be sure she's actually with child! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment