Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Maternity leave

I feel like Christmas came early today!
I just found out that I've apparently misunderstood the company's maternity leave coverage. It sounds like Gannett will pay my full salary for five weeks after the baby is born and I may even be able to get a few 60% pay weeks after that!
In trying to read and understand the policy online, it looked like I was only covered under the federal family leave policy, which guarantees 12 weeks unpaid. Brian and I had been working out a plan for post-delivery based on that info. But this is great news!
Since I've been with Gannett for four years now, I also qualified for a third week of vacation this year. So by saving up that time to combine with the maternity time, it looks like I won't have to rush back to work. And, we won't go broke :) (Well, no more broke than we'll already be with all the new baby expenses...)
I still need to get all of this information verified and fill out the appropriate paperwork, but YAY for some good news in the midst of all this job uncertainty!

No comments:

Post a Comment