Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Guessing the gender

We hit the 32 week mark today! This is the last week the baby is the size of an indeterminate squash. According the Web sites I follow, the baby could weigh up to 4 lbs this week — oh wait, we've already achieved that. But by now all five of the baby's senses have developed and steady growth is continuing. The baby's developing more fat, too. Goodie.

Not that I want to fuel endless gender predictions, but I found this blurb interesting from the 32 week section at storknet.com:
If you've chosen not to find out which gender your baby is, you may be trying to guess based on Old Wives Tales. Or, your friends and relatives may be telling you what they think your baby is. Some of these theories can be really fun. For example, if Dad is more nervous, a daughter is on the way. If he's more relaxed, it's a boy. If Dad is getting lots of household projects done, a boy is coming. If Dad isn't doing more projects, it's a girl. If Dad gains weight with Mom, it's a boy. If he stays the same weight-wise, it's a girl. So Dad? What's it gonna be?

Most of you know that Brian has been shamelessly pulling for a boy in this whole process. (Though I'm sure he'll be a complete softie if we end up having a girl this time around!)
The theories below provide conflicting results because Brian isn't too nervous (boy=1, girl=0) and he's certainly getting household projects done (boy=2, girl=0).... but he's not gained weight or stayed the same size. In fact, he's lost 24 lbs so far during my pregnancy. I would think that trend lends more to the girl prediction. But who knows! I guess we'll find out in August.

P.S. Does anyone else think that those gender theories above were totally invented by a woman? (Given that most of the men I've talked to have admitted they wanted a son from their wife's first pregnancy... and the productive behaviors listed, minus the weight gain, seem to be tied to the male prediction.)
What wife out there doesn't nag her husband to do more projects around the house? And while I would totally understand if Brian were a nervous wreck right now, it's nice that he's been a calming influence during this process. If I'd known about these baby gender predictors earlier, I definitely would have shared them with Brian when he first started saying things like "be a boy" into my belly. Maybe he could have gotten a second bathroom remodeled during these nine months!

1 comment:

  1. I think every single old wives' tale in existence told me it was a girl... I'm just saying :)

    ReplyDelete