Monday, June 22, 2009

Workin' through the weekend

The baby and I had a long and productive work weekend. My mom came down and helped Brian and I get to the final stretch of our bathroom remodeling project. It was great to have her here to give us advice about the detailing in the bathroom, such as the caulking, caps and baseboards for the wainscoting, and frames for the door and window. Plus, she may be 60 but she was doing better than either Brian or I after a 12 hour stretch of work on Saturday. She kept us motivated through the weekend and we are so close to being done with the bathroom now! Pictures to come (as soon as I can find the camera... lost in the construction mayhem somewhere...)

It was also fun to have my mom around for a few days to ask baby questions as they came to me. She's got a bit of experience, having had 5 kids, breastfeeding all of us and trying to keep up with everything. Though she told me that different things came up with each child, so it's hard to know what to expect in a lot of ways.
As I was missing my dad on Sunday, Father's Day, it was also nice to talk to my mom a little about what he was like as they prepared for their first baby. Brian has been so calm, but I think a lot of dads hold it together like that so that the moms-to-be can freely express all their worries. My mom doesn't remember my dad having a lot of nerves as they waited for the arrival of Jim, my oldest brother. My dad was always such a strong figure when I was growing up that that doesn't surprise me. Though I would fully expect to see my dad melt if he were here to hold his latest grandchild when he or she arrives. I know he'll be watching, though. And our baby won't have any shortage of love from those with us and from those who are not.

1 comment: