Thursday, October 22, 2009

Stuffy baby

Ellie has a stuffy nose right now. She's been sounding more and more congested over the past few days. I tried our rubber bulb syringe on her last night, trying to suck out whatever I could from her nose. I didn't get much and she got pretty mad... so it wasn't the best experience. But we may try it again tonight.
I feel so sad when I hear her snuffling during her feedings. She has to breathe through her nose during those times, so I'd imagine it's pretty uncomfortable not being able to get as much air. Poor baby :(
I'm also being a total nervous mother right now about the H1N1 flu and other germs over at her new daycare. I know that she's going to get sick once or twice in her lifetime, but I'd like to delay it as long as possible. It doesn't seem likely now that she's in daycare, though. Walking in the first day we saw signs everywhere notifying parents that the daycare center "has been exposed to the H1N1 flu." I'm not surprised given how hard the flu is hitting children. I just don't want Ellie to get it!
She can't get a flu shot because she's too young. Brian and I got our seasonal flu shots at the beginning of the month and hope to get the H1N1 vaccine when more of it gets to Lafayette. In the meantime, I'm using lots of hand sanitizer on my way in and out of the daycare center, at work and when I get home at night. I'm worried about germs Brian might pick up over at Purdue, too, especially since it's spreading like wildfire among the students. At a certain point, I know we as parents have to just hope for the best.... But I don't think I can be that Zen-like with Ellie's health and general well-being yet.
I'm keeping a close watch on this congestion she has right now. I hope it doesn't get any worse. But I make no promises about not freaking out a little at the first signs of fever or other serious symptoms...

No comments:

Post a Comment