Friday, July 31, 2009

bad idea/good idea

Today's my last day of work before taking 12 weeks maternity leave (well, a combo of family leave and vacation time).... Woo-hoo!
I'm working to get four stories done today. And one of them involved tagging along on a photo assignment to the county courthouse. Well, actually, the dome of the courthouse. The county is having to invest some money to fix water leaks in the dome, so I'm writing about it and decided to go and see for myself.
It seemed like a great idea until the photographer, maintenance director and I approached the super-steep stairs leading up to the dome. I climbed up and found myself facing another flight of stairs. Climbed those, too, and guess what? More stairs. Even steeper. I had to let the rest of the group walk ahead while I rested, but I made it up eventually! Coming back down was almost as scary since my balance is off and I was wearing flip-flops (hey, it's all that fits!).
But I survived the dome trip and it didn't even get labor started.

Now I'm one hour from the start of the weekend and my leave time. Brian and I have brainstormed some good ideas this week on what to do in our final pre-baby time.
After our afternoon trip to the sweet corn festival tomorrow, I think we may go to a nearby drive-in theater to see the new movie "Funny People." I could use a few laughs to relieve the building stress and nerves! And we want to get one last date night in before it will require a babysitter. As I told Brian, my only concern is being able to stay awake through a movie that doesn't start until 9:15 p.m.! (I feel so old...)

1 comment:

  1. Mike has wanted to go to the drive-in all summer and I won't go b/c I KNOW I'll be asleep before we're 10 minutes into the movie!

    Good luck on Monday! I know you'll be super busy with family and visitors but once everything calms down, let us know so we can come visit.. and please let me know if you need anything while you're on leave!! I'm happy to bring over food, diapers, adult interaction :)

    ReplyDelete