Friday, July 3, 2009

Getting some zzzs

For a couple months now, sleeping has been a chore. I'm usually exhausted at the end of the day, but the nights in bed haven't been restoring me because of some pretty severe hip pain I was having. I've dealt with various hip pains for a few years now, which doesn't make me feel too young! But running usually helps stretch out the muscles and provides some relief. Since I'm not doing that these days, I figured I'd have some pain. Walking helps me work out the kinks in the morning, but this pain during the night had been waking me up a ton and seemed to be getting worse.
I tried stretching and doing some leg exercises before bed. I also tried switching positions and adding/subtracting pillows. And I even got a prenatal massage — an awesome treat!! — last week, but still had the pain return that night. Nothing helped.
Finally my doctor sent me in for physical therapy. I went in yesterday and the physical therapist found that my hip joints were somewhat locked in place. She could actually see the problem just by watching me walk/waddle down the hallway. As my pelvic bones have been expanding and shifting to make room for the baby, apparently my hips haven't been moving accordingly. She was able to adjust the bones and gave me some great stretches to do at home.
She also suggested I use some additional pillows in bed to help support me. As recommended for pregnant women, I've been sleeping on my side. But it's gotten to be more of feat as my belly weight causes me to tip. Brian was not excited to hear about the pillow prescription, because he's already almost crowded out of our bed. But instead of adding pillows, I was able to replace my crappy body pillow with a bigger version and still get the extra support I need.
I was so excited to go to bed last night with some hope that I would be able to sleep for an extended period of time! And while my night wasn't completely pain-free, it was sooo much better. I'm hoping the hip pain will continue to subside as I do more of my physical therapy "homework." From what I've read, it sounds like I need to get as much rest as I can now to save up energy for labor and everything else coming after.

No comments:

Post a Comment