Friday, July 17, 2009

Brian 1, Baby Book 0

This is Brian hacking in for a post, just to let you know.
Dorothy and I were shopping the other day at Babies R Us (thanks for the gift cards, folks) and came across baby books. We've heard the stories about how people start filling them out and stop, only to leave their children with a little information about the first month or so of their lives.
But we decided we'd get one and do our best to fill in all the "important" information that will be fun to share with the baby one day when s/he is older.
Most of these books are the same in terms of information, though Dorothy and I agreed they were a bit excessive. Some information, such as baby's first steps, words, when they crawled and started eating solid food are interesting milestones to note.
However, I really don't think I'll be poking around in the baby's mouth to mark the occasion of the second incisor breaking through the gums. How about if we just record the date when the baby stops screaming about the teeth coming in?
I did, however, score a small victory over the baby book, and I didn't even know I was doing it.
One of the pages asks for information about parents at the time of birth. Whoever wrote this book thought they could take a little jab at dads by asking not just for mom's weight gain during pregnancy, but dad's as well.
Of course the mom is going to gain weight. And we've heard from people that the dad does the same because his eating habits change, there are sympathy pounds, etc. But that won't be the case here.
Since we found out Dorothy has been pregnant, I've been running more, eating better and eating less. I do an official weigh-in each month, and for the year, I'm down 21 pounds. My goal for the day the baby comes is to be near a 30-pound loss.
So take that, baby book.

No comments:

Post a Comment