Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Watermelon



We've reached the last fruit of the pregnancy.
As of today, the start of week 37, the baby is the size of a watermelon. Hopefully seedless?
Judging from how low the baby's head was at last week's ultrasound and the fact that my ribs aren't being crushed these days, I believe the baby/watermelon has already dropped. From what I've read, this can happen any time in the last few weeks or days of pregnancy.
While I'm glad to have the extra breathing room, my frequent bathroom trips have become even more constant. Brian and I ran some errands during the weekend and I had to find the public bathroom in almost every store we visited. I was thinking I should put my experiences of the past few months to good use and create a ratings chart of the restrooms in stores around town. I'd definitely rate the grocery store's bathroom higher than the one at Sam's Club. And the one at Home Depot is superior to Lowes. I can't tell you how glad I am that I've accumulated this valuable knowledge.

But getting back to the watermelon, I was so glad to read at babycenter.com that the baby is considered full-term at this point. Even if it were born today, the lungs and other vital systems are developed enough (in most cases) to ensure a healthy baby. August 3 is only 13 days away now, but if the baby wants to come sooner we'd be OK with that, too!

2 comments:

  1. I've really missed the "Hitched" column, so I'm glad I found this blog. My wife and I are planning to expand the family soon, and since she's Captain Tinybladder to begin with, I'd be a frequent visitor to your bathroom ratings website. Maybe someone could make an iPhone app for it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ben! Good luck on the family plans and I'll keep you posted if the bathroom ratings site takes off :)

    ReplyDelete