Thursday, July 9, 2009

Frayed nerves

Today has been a tough one. Between my pregnancy hormones, overall tiredness and the tension at work because layoffs are being announced, I am fried!
I started the day before 5:30 a.m. on my fourth overnight trip to the bathroom. When I went to get back in bed, I found I couldn't lay down because every time I tried to go horizontal I would get a searing pain in my lower abdomen. I attempted to sit and sleep, and Brian tried to rub my back and sides, but I never really got any more rest.

My nights have become increasingly more restless over the past two weeks. There's just no comfortable way for me to sleep more than an hour or two at a time. And every time I roll over, the pressure on my bladder forces me out of bed. So I'm very tired these days.
Coming into work on a sour note and hasn't helped me absorb hours of tension here as people await layoff news. Gannett handled this latest round of cuts in the usual crappy way. They sent a note out last week telling people there were layoffs coming and we'd all know who by today. I'm sure it really helped people enjoy the holiday weekend knowing they might not have a job by the end of this week. The day isn't over yet, but I feel fairly safe about my position. But it's hard no matter what seeing others lose their jobs.

So I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when my doctor asked me how I was doing at the appointment this morning and I started crying. She took it in stride and told me it's fine to have a "weepy day" now and again. I also got the green light from her to try taking Tylenol PM at night — thanks for the suggestion, Genny! I bought a bottle already and will be trying it tonight.
On a positive note, we got to hear that beautiful baby heartbeat. It was strong, in the 140s. And another plus, I found out I've only gained a pound since my last appointment two weeks ago. (To celebrate I bought a bag of peanut butter M&Ms to get me through the afternoon... I'll skip dessert tonight — probably.)

I'm trying to take some deep breaths and just make it through the day. With four-plus weeks left to go in the pregnancy, I'm sure I'll have some more tough days. So I'm just trying to remind myself of all the positive things going on in our lives right now. And speaking of which, Dr. George ordered an ultrasound for next Thursday so we can get a handle on the baby's size and growth. I can't wait to see that gorgeous face again!

No comments:

Post a Comment