Thursday, July 16, 2009

Calm down

That's what I need to do — but it's not working. Ever since the doctor gave me the August 3 news this morning, my head is swimming.
I'm very excited to have a plan for the delivery, even though I recognize things could still change. The doctor has to make sure the date will work for scheduling, the baby could decide to come earlier than that or something else could come up. But for now I'm counting on "the plan" to help calm my nerves and keep me revved up in these uncomfortable, final few weeks.
Here are some of the chaotic thoughts making it almost impossible for me to focus today!

On the induction...
Pros: I'm excited that it will give me a chance at a natural delivery, rather than jumping into a C-section. However, from what I've researched, there's a decent chance that I'll need a C-section if the inducing doesn't take or drags on too long. I'm sure I'll regret saying this in a few weeks, but I'd like to at least see what labor feels like.
Cons: I've also read that an induced labor can be more painful than natural labor. I guess the medication they give you can make the contractions very strong, very quickly... which doesn't sound like a blast. But there are several induction methods and I don't know yet which one Dr. George will use.

On family coming for the birth...
I've heard several stories now from friends who've be induced and it sounds like labor could take anywhere from half a day to 24+ hours. So when do we have our moms come to town? Brian and I want them here to meet the baby shortly after birth, but don't want them to have to stake out in the hospital waiting room for hours. We're still figuring this one out, but it's great that both of the grandmothers-to-be have said they're willing to come whenever we want them here.

On getting things ready for baby...
OK, so we have a lot of stuff done. But now I know there are definitely only three more weekends for us to finish off that checklist! First priority is getting the car seat installed in the car. Other tasks are still TBD, but I'm sure there are baby priorities I'm forgetting....

On my family leave...
Dr. George also told us today that she'll clear me for medical leave from work for as long as I need/want. (Best doctor EVER!) I was so glad to hear her echo my sentiment that I should take as much time as I can with the baby at the start because I'll never get this opportunity again. I get 6 weeks paid leave from my job plus they offer additional weeks of 60 percent pay. So... my current plan is to take three weeks at reduced pay and then tack on my three weeks of vacation to round out 12 weeks at home with the baby.
Brian is a little nervous about extending my time at home because of the day care waiting list we're on. We've gotten assurance from the place that we like that there will be a spot open for our child in early October, but he's worried that spot won't still be there by the end of the month. We'll be checking into it, but I'm hoping it will still work out with my new family leave schedule.

Sorry this post is so long. Here's the payoff: a pic from our ultrasound today. It really isn't great -- a little scary, in fact -- because the baby was moving and the head was also down too far in my pelvis for the tech to get many good shots. But here's our sweet, fat-cheeked melon!

No comments:

Post a Comment