Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I know. The baby will pee on me

This is Brian hacking into the blog again today.
One of the funny things I've noticed as the baby's due date gets closer is the different stages other people go through when they talk to you about it. Especially noticeable is how backward their comments have been over time.
When we started talking about trying to get pregnant, people were so excited. We heard all the stories about how wonderful children are, and how our lives will be so fulfilling.
After you tell people you are pregnant, they're excited again, telling you great little stories about their, or their spouse's pregnancy, and what a magical time it is.
As the baby gets closer, within a couple months, people start getting anxious, asking you if you're "ready." Well, we're about as ready as we can get, I guess. How do you answer that? Can you truly be ready for such a life-altering thing?
But the stage that has truly surprised me is the last week or two, the point at which you can count down the days to the due date. That's when people start telling the truth. Out come the scary stories about children who scream all night. They laugh when they see diapers. You can't count the number of people who tell me what a pain it is to change diapers. And, yes, I'm aware that if it's a boy, he's going to pee in my face. If I have to live it then, I don't want to hear about it now.
This is all wrong. Here's how it should go, and how I'm going to tell it when I'm in the other position:
1: Thinking about getting pregnant? Let me tell you about the diapers, pee in the face and long nights now. Still thinking about getting pregnant? Great. Despite all that, it's a wonderful thing.
2. You're pregnant? That's wonderful. Enjoy the last months alone with your significant other. Do a lot of fun stuff and enjoy your time together. Your life will change in numerous ways. They're all good, but it's worth savoring what you have right now until it's gone.
3. Almost there? I have nothing to say. Everyone else is asking you a million questions. You're surely tired of them by now.
4. Just around the corner? Let me tell you positive things. This is going to be the most significant and memorable thing in your life. Enjoy that baby and don't sweat the small stuff. You'll never regret it.

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry... a girl will pee on you too! It's just that she'll get it all over your shirt, not your face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew! We'd hate to avoid a good pee-covering...

    ReplyDelete