Monday, July 27, 2009

My first night on the couch

In almost four years of marriage, last night was the first in which I had to sleep on the couch. (This is Brian, just so you know)
Yes, there I found myself trying to find a way to position a comforter so that it doesn't bunch up and take any last shred of space I had after one of the dogs positioned himself in my foot space. I was cast off to the couch to sleep alone and slightly cold.
Of course, Dorothy was over on the recliner next to me, probably doing much of the same.
For the last several weeks, maybe months, Dorothy has had difficulty sleeping. She tosses and turns and jams pillows under her belly, between her legs, behind her back and God knows where else, all to no avail. Last night, she finally decided to try the cuddler (our oversized recliner), which left me the couch.
In actuality, I had more space than I've had in months. With all her pillows, I usually get about 18 to 20 inches of bed. The couch was like stretching out on a king-size.
Dorothy said she slept well, or as well as can be expected for a woman who could explode at any moment. I was glad to hear it. She needs the rest, especially since in one week, we won't be getting any.
So, here's to the couch, some real sleep and to convincing the dog to sleep on the floor around 3:30 a.m. These are the stories we'll tell our grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment