Saturday, July 4, 2009

Childbirth class

Brian and I attended our first of two childbirth preparation classes last night.
Despite the title of the class, I didn't walk away from the first session feeling very prepared for what's coming five weeks from now. In fact, I was pretty freaked out. And not just because of the very graphic videos that had us watch!
Over the last month or so, I've stayed pretty calm about the prospect of childbirth because I knew this class was coming up. I figured it would answer all my questions and make me an "expert" in birthing.
Well, the session did answer a lot of questions about the process of labor, what happens physically during the birth and what happens to the baby after he or she comes out. But it also left me with a lot of unanswered or new questions. I know it's ridiculous, but I was hoping to get some idea of how I would feel during labor, how long it will take and what I can do to prepare. Instead, we were told it feels different for everyone, labor could last anywhere from 6-18+ hours and beyond packing a bag and practicing breathing... there's not much training to do in advance of this particular job.
I guess it's ridiculous to think that the nurse instructor would be able to predict what my birthing experience will be like, but I still wanted it to happen!
And did I mention the videos?!
We watched two different birth scenarios, one with a vaginal delivery and another with a C-section. The totally-90s videos were like something we would have watched during high school health class, except WAY more graphic. I think these are what they should be showing in high schools if they want to cut down on teen pregnancy! (Granted, I have a low tolerance for medical/surgical shows — and even have to look away from the TV sometimes during Grey's Anatomy.) But this was a lot to take in.
I'll admit the birthing scenes, which included the delivery of a placenta (sorry about the TMI — but at least you're not viewing it!), were informative. And I actually teared up each time the new baby in the video was placed into the arms of the mother. I'm excited about that part, but not sure about everything that's going to come before it!
We go to class #2 next Friday, so stay tuned.
Oh, and Happy 4th of July! I'm working today and dragging this baby around to some rainy festivals. At least the holiday pay will help buy some more diapers... or counseling sessions for me depending on what comes during next week's class!

No comments:

Post a Comment